Welcome to the Cam Vale Parish Council Website
The Cam Vale Group of Parishes includes the villages of Longburton, Holnest, Lillington and Leweston,
located in the picturesque Blackmore Vale and close to the renowned Abbey Town of Sherborne.
To contact Cam Vale
Council Depot Site
Plot SOLD and DCC Grant
WAR MemorialUPDATE - Sep 2017
Home Library Service
provided by Dorset Library Service
and delivered by Royal Voluntary Service volunteers free of charge to anybody who cannot easily get to their local library.
Sherborne Library has a team of volunteers who choose and deliver books on a 3 weekly basis in the area. If you would be interested in finding out more about this service please contact Maria Jacobson, RVS Home Library Service Manager
Dorset, on 01305 236666
|Dorset For You|
To find out about
and much more
Financial help for those
on slowest broadband
click here (Doc file)----------------------
Charity event raised funds
for a Defibrillator at Future Roots
in memory of Dominic
Dorset Community Transport
Hang up on fraudsters
Dog Fouling Notice
click here (PDF file)
POWER CUTS From 6th Sep 2016
phone 105 (free)
to report a power cut
click here (doc file)
| Groups & Activities|
A profile of the Cam Vale Group of Parishes
The Names: Longburton, Leweston, Lillington, Holnest
Longburton comes from the Old English lang (long) and burh-tun (fortified farm or farm near a fortification). A number of versions of the village name have been adopted over the centuries. This is hardly surprising in the period before spelling was standardised. Early references show Burton (1244), Buryton (1285), Bourton (1316) and Langebourton (1460).
Leweston is probably a farm belonging to a man called Leofwig, from the Old English tun + a personal name.
Lillington (farm called after a man named Lylla) comes from the Old English -lngton + a personal name. However, before 1293 the village belonged to one William de Lillington.
Holnest (copse or wooded hill where ho
lly grows) comes from the Old English holeyn +hurst. References include Holeherst (1185), Holenherst (1268), Holnest (1316) and Holnhurst (1375).